Don’t be limited to just physiotherapy or nutrition to solve your problem more quickly – make the most of both! Alyssa Tait is both a physiotherapist and a nutritionist. After doing postgraduate studies in pelvic floor as a physiotherapist, she returned to university with the drive to get even better and faster results for her patients by incorporating nutrition. Two nutrition/naturopathy qualifications later, she is still incorporating more tools to help her patients, taking on a Master of Science in Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine.
Alyssa has a bee in her bonnet about painful sex, leaky bladder, irritable bowel, chronic/recurrent urinary tract infections, all manner of horrible types of pelvic pain, and annoying itchy vaginal discharge issues, and has made it her mission to help as many as possible rid themselves of these problems.
It all started in the late 90s, when Alyssa worked for many years in the public health system in women’s health, starting up and expanding a service focusing on pelvic floor problems. A little later, she satisfied her ever-present bookish tendencies by working on a project team and co-authoring evidence-based guidelines for health professionals on how to manage incontinence.
Believing that the world of orthodox medicine and natural therapies are complementary, Alyssa Tait founded Equilibria Physiotherapy & Nutrition, which uniquely bridges the gap between the two worlds. While working within a strong science-based framework, Alyssa brings the best of natural medicine into her treatment in order to get the best possible results for her clients.
Intrigued by the world of women’s hormones and fertility, Alyssa Tait is is also an Accredited Teacher of the Billings Ovulation Method.
Alyssa’s qualifications include:
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy – University of Queensland
- Postgraduate Certificate in Physiotherapy (Continence and Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation) – University of Melbourne
- Graduate Diploma in Health Science (Nutrition Medicine) – University of New England
- Advanced Diploma of Naturopathy (Australian Institute of Applied Sciences)
- Advanced Diploma in Western Herbal Medicine (Australian Institute of Applied Sciences)
- Advanced Diploma in Nutritional Medicine (Australian Institute of Applied Sciences)
- Accreditation as a Teacher of the Billings Ovulation Method
- Master of Science (Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine)
- Pelvic Pain Foundation Australia
- Australian Natural Therapists Association
What are some of the most common techniques Alyssa might use in your session?
- Muscle Energy Technique
- Myofascial Technique
- Trigger Point Release
- Visceral Manipulation
- Strain/Counterstrain Technique
- Exercise Therapy
- Pain Neuroscience Education
Nutritional Medicine Approaches
- Functional Medicine framework
- General Pathology Testing and Interpretation
- Functional Pathology Testing and Interpretation
- Body Composition Assessment